Ethan Zuckerman was in Qatar when this whole cartoon war broke out. He recounts his interactions with Arab editors and reporters at Al Jazeera that illustrates the challenges of seeing eye to eye on such issue. Here is one enlightened global citizen’s view on the matter:
searching for “danish cartoon” on Technorati reveals a wealth of hatred and ignorance from Western bloggers that’s extremely disappointing… though not as disappointing as the fact that peaceful boycotts and protests in the Middle East are now being overshadowed by senseless violence.
I’m not surprised that (most of the) bloggers I read in the Middle East are looking for solutions, not screaming in anger. Many people blogging the Middle East are explicitly trying to build bridges with the rest of the world and increase understanding around cultural, religious and language gaps – this situation is one to be overcome for these bridge bloggers.
Read the whole post here.
Read these related posts on 360east:
- My interview on GlobalVoices with Ethan Zuckerman
- Excellent talk by Ethan Zuckerman at the Open Source Seminar
- One more congratulatory ad..
- Brilliant Hajjaj cartoon about the current water pollution crisis
- Jehane Noujaim: bring people together through the power of the image
Bookmark this post on your favorite bookmarking service