Another instanse of backwardness propagated by the Jordanian parliament (actually its so-called National Guidance Committee). The committee insisted on adding the punishment of imprisonment for certain journalistic ‘offences’ under the new press and publications law, eventhoough the government has submitted a draft law that DOES NOT include such punishments. A big hurrah to the representatives of the people!
Reade more about it in Khalaf’s blog.
Read these related posts on 360east:
- Free Kareem: A dark day for Arab freedom of speech
- Islam Samhan: poetry, jail and the limits of Jordanian “tolerance”
- Arrest of IAF deputies and the demo in front of parliament: the right response?
- Shirin Ebadi at the Global Media Forum: Beware of the warmongers and monopolists
- Sit-in to support of the Amman bombing victims TODAY, MONDAY 11 AM in front of parliament
Bookmark this post on your favorite bookmarking service