I passed by Abdoun circle and saw yet another ‘atrocity’ being committed against contemporary architecture in Jordan. This commercial building was designed by renowned architect Khaled Nahhas. It is a really nice building as far as commercial buildings go. What do the owners do after hiring a star architect?
They allow their tenants to plaster all kinds of utterly ugly signs over the building. Notice the bank signs that stick over the edge and the black and orange ‘artwork’.
It is clear: as a culture (yes even that segment of society that builds in the posh Abdoun area) we don’t deserve good architecture. All what we deserve is dumb boxes with the maximum number of commercial signs on, above and preferably also inside them.
Read these related posts on 360east:
- On the arrogance of architects..
- Dawwar Abdoun at its best
- Hello ‘West Amman”: the biggest mall is in East Amman
- Top UK architects accuse Israelis of oppression
- Suwiefieh: Ugly signs down, pedestrian life in
Bookmark this post on your favorite bookmarking service