This is from an ad by Carrefour promoting “Ramadan specials”: like peanuts. Or as some would say in Arabic: Fustuq Abeed (Slaves’ Peanuts), packed by Blue Sea.
What is life without some residual Arab racism?
This is a bit crazy. I don’t remember peanuts being called “slaves’ peanuts”. I mean, there is Fustuq which is peanuts and Fustuq Halabi (Aleppo Peanuts) meaning pistachios. Notice the English translation “Abeed Nuts”!
While we’re at it, why not also promote “Ras el Abed” (Head of the Slave)..
In Germany, these are now called Choco-kiss. The older generations called them Moor’s Heads. We still call them Slaves Heads.
Have a sweet Ramadan!
Read these related posts on 360east:
- Win Nokia Nseries devices with Ikbis in Ramadan
- MixUp Arabia episode 7 | Oct 12, 2005 | The Ramadan Cast
- Ending my self-imposed blogging hiatus
- Aqaba’s tourism brand starts to make an appearance
- More crazy stuff with an ‘Islamic’ label on it..
Bookmark this post on your favorite bookmarking service